Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Manaoag

The bus trip was pleasant. I was asleep the whole time. And nature didn't bother me much. I usually have to pee every 20-30 minutes but not this time. Of course, I didn't eat anything on the bus, in fear I might make a big mess, but I was okay. We reached Dagupan City by 11 pm. Dagupan usually closes at 8, by 9, the streets would be deserted. So, it is 11 in the evening, I took a jeepney to Bonuan Tondaligan, which is where the beach is.

The Bonuan Blue Beach, even when I was still living there, 10 years ago, have already been polluted. We go there, rent a cottage and drink, but we never swim. You are risking skin problems. But the what I see, it is still people, swimming on the beach peopled, it is 11 pm, perhaps tourist like me—I am already a tourist, it have been years since the last time I was there. I checked in to one of the hotels, I was hoping for a beach view room—I wanted to wake up seeing the sea. But to no avail. The room would cost 1500 for the over night stay, I just went for the 800 econoroom, bed and breakfast. which is a good thing as in the morning, having coffee from the veranda, the view of the sea is covered by trees.

I was hungry, the bell boy said the kitchen is already close, I have to go out for food. Which I did, I was looking for Pigar-pigar, which in direct translation is turn-turn. It's fresh beef and liver, hang for your viewing delight, you order how many kilo you want, they slice it, salt it and stir deep fry on oil and there you go. Actually, I don't know if they put other things on the meat, but to what I know, it is just that. The best way to get it is at the meat market during the night but that would be in downtown Dagupan. And since it is only available at night, I thought I would find one, specially that I am in Bonuan. It was pass 12 already, I kept thinking I am still in Manila. I have to settle for a burger at Burger Machine.

Breakfast was boneless Bonuan bangus. Bonuan boast the most delicious bangus in the country, marked distinctively with one tail shorter than the other. I really don't like bangus, I don't really like fish but it was a nice breakfast. I went to check out at 10, and off I go to downtown Dagupan and get myself a ride to Manaoag.

Manaoag is about an hour and a half away from Dagupan, you have to pass by 3-4 towns. There are jeeps and bus but at that hour bus are minimal. I had no choice but to take a jeep. 30 pesos. Again, I was asleep in the duration of the ride. And there I was, Manaoag church. As soon as I got in the church, and saw her perched on the altar, I stated to break down and cry. I was not able to say anything, I just kneel there and I was crying. I was not able to help it, the feeling was overwhelming I have to cover my mouth not to make so much noise and call attention.

I went out of the church, at the back, so I could compose myself. The back of the church is a park. There you can light candles for prayer petitions. And there is a Rosary trail. There are still a lot of people, pilgrims like me but this is nothing during weekends. You really don't want to go during the weekends.

Also, there is a stair at the back where you can go up, and touch the back of the Lady Of Manaoag. I went there first. After, I went to seat on one of the benches on the park. I thought I should take pictures. But for some reason, I didn't feel like it. I was so hungry, it was pass 12 noon already, thirsty, and I was running a 39.7 temperature as I was seated on that bench facing the rosary trail. One thing about Manaoag, other than Treats and Chowking, no other fastfood chain. No Jollibee, no McDonalds, just locals. I didn't want to eat at Chowking.

I went back to the church and again, I broke down in front, I was sobbing. I know I wouldn't have the miracle I was hoping for, I felt I was not one of the favored children. I was crying for that, and I remember saying over and over again, “Ina... aking Ina... nandito na po ako... (Mother... My Mother... I am already here...)” I sweating and not able to help crying and crying, I was making a scene already and bigger one if I was not covering my mouth with a face towel to muffle my sobs.

For I guess a good 30 minutes, I was crying. Nobody bothered me. They looked at me but no one ask. Calmed down already, the old ladies next to me was praying the rosary. It was in the local dialect, I still speak the dialect fluently, I joined in, answering.

The prayer was done, I checked my watch what time it was, it was pass one. I have not eaten yet, and I have to travel back to Dagupan to get a bus back to Manila. I left when the old ladies left. I was back in Dagupan pass 3 pm, I dined in this quaint little pasta house at the corner of Rizal and Perez Blvd. I ordered fettuccine and a lemonade shake. It was delicious. I bought my lemonade outside, at the table set there to smoke.
While I was smoking, minding my own busines, an old woman approached my table. I didn't understand what she was asking me but it have something to do with my drink. I was not sure if she was asking me if she can have some of my drink, but the next thing I know was she was asking how much was the drink. It was over 100 pesos, I answered which made me embarrassed. The old woman left. I thought I could asked the waitress for a glass of water if she was thirsty, but the old woman was gone. I don't know what you are to make out of this story but that is what happened.

As soon as I arrived at the bus station, just got myself a ticket and as soon as I got settled, the bus left. And again, I was asleep the whole time, not even waking up at the stop overs. It was already SM North Edsa when I gained consciousness. I got off Kamias, took a jeepney ride to Anonas, and there caught another jeepney ride home.

2 comments:

  1. i've read all of your blogs and saw you on twitter. fan mo ako. hindi ka mukhang suplado or too busy to respond to queries. sana pag dumating ang panahon na ma test ako and i turn up positive. mag reach out ka sa akin.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...