Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Binibini

As I have mentioned in my previous post, I like beauty pageants... bordering enthusiast... But I didn't see Binibing Pilipinas... not this year, not last year nor the year before... I don't actually remember watching any edition through and through... well, I am not really a TV person... maybe if I have a TV in my room...? I watched Miss Universe and Miss World 2011 online... I checked the winners of this year's Binibining Pilipinas online, watching the videos on YouTube...

I guess, we are all excited with this years Binibining Pilipinas as we feel we are back in the International beauty pageant map... after our candidates making it to the top five for two consecutive year... Venus and Shamcey might not have worn the crown but it took 10 years before we made it again as a semifinalist in the Miss Universe (Meriam Quiambao, Miss Universe 1st runner up 1999)... we want to see... know... who would represent us in the next Miss Universe and try to access if we are again to make it as far or better than for the last two edition of the pageant...

I have a theory... not to discredit Venus and Shamcey... I find Venus Raj so divine, with her height, her physique and her skin tone... and Shamcey have that walk and intelligence... but my theory is that, the Miss Universe Organization, with its owner Donald Trump, realizing that we, Filipinos is one of the greatest beauty pageant fans... close to we are to die for our candidates... we are among the Latin countries who takes beauty pageant seriously (one would actually argue that the Philippines is a Latin country in Asia)... and that this means higher ratings... I think they know this already, so they noticed Miss Philippines again, keeps her until the last segment or leg of the competition to keep us watching, rather than when they announced the semifinalist and our candidates don't make it, we turn off the TV or change channels... 

Just a theory...

I think they would eventually give us the crown on 2013, next year, in hopes that despite our economy, our government would agree to host the pageant again, for the third time, on 2014, making the 20 year cycle (we hosted the pageant twice 1974 and 1994).

Janine Tugonon was crowned Miss Universe Philippines (noticed the change on the title, no longer Bb. Pilipinas Universe, hmmmmmmm...? I wonder or do I wonder too much?). She was the 1st runner up last year... a Pharmacy graduate at the University of Sto. Thomas, she graduated with honors... Well, her features are very Filipino... something very consistent with past winners... if you would note, almost all our representative to the Miss Universe are brown skinned... mestisas and foreign looking are usually sent to Miss World or Miss International... 

I am not quite sure about her chances in the international pageant... I am bothered by her nose though... but then what do I know... I didn't have high hopes with Venus and Shamcey then but there they were... But then again, regardless, I won't bet against my compatriot... (kahit dehado sa laban, di ako pupusta sa kalaban, di bale ng matalo, basta sa Pilipino pa rin ako!)

During the pageant, one of the host said, Miss Universe this year would be on October, in the US... as per google, it would be in December, and no venue yet... ample time to prepare... to train... and I hope they do train her well...

















No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...