Sunday, April 29, 2012

Mama Mia


Did you know that the last time a European won the Miss Universe crown was in 2002...? Ten years ago... Miss Russia, Oxana Fedorova, and that she didn't finish her reign, she was dethroned, passing her crown to her 1st runner up then, Panama's Justine Pasek... Before her, before 2002, the last European to win was Miss Norway, Mona Grudt in 1990... So you are actually looking at 22 years drought...

Nothing much, just random thoughts... some things I just know...



I saw "Avengers"... I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it... the film was surprisingly smart and witty... Well, Tony Stark, Iron Man, have always been witty without even trying... I like Scarlet... I have always been a fan of her... her roles have always been nonchalant... the film was well made... well balanced, the character were given equal treatment... no one was less of  hero...

Great script, great special effect... To my opinion it was at par with "Pirates of the Caribbean"...

I also saw "Maron 5 and the Crying Lady"... I did mention in my previous post that I want to see it as it seemed to be a laugh out loud film and really I need something like that... but boy was I disappointed... I thought it was really bad... the punchlines were stale... even the slapstick comedy was old...
For some reason, after my failed attempt on getting a job, I wanted to see a musical... and that "Mama Mia" came to mind... which was odd as I really didn't like it when I first saw it... I love Meryl Streep but she just seemed wrong for the role... and Pierce Brosnan singing and Colin Firt gay... was a bit too much for me... 

But I was craving for it, so after we bought some lottery ticket--hoping that God may have pity on me having enough disappointment for one day and let me win the jackpot instead... no deal... we went to look for it at our friendly neighborhood pirates... they don't have it... try to look for other musical film... but to no avail... we bought instead this DVD that contains a collection of Tagalog movies, among it was "Mother's Story", "No Other Woman" and "Unofficially Yours"...

What?!? I dare you!

But I still want to see Mama Mia, so I went to download it online... illegally... yes... and as I was waiting for it to download, I started on the Tagalog films...

"Mother's Story" was a little bit flimsy... same old story... a story told once to many... not that I am down playing the flight of our OFW... I get how difficult the situation is... a mother being away from her children and the children being away from their mother... I know this, I lived it... my mom is an OFW... 

Well Medy, Pokwang's character, didn't suffer as much as the film tried to imply... she was lonely, sure... she longs for her family, sure... she have a daughter that does not know her, sure... but well, every OFW is... her employers were not as mean as they ought to be... they just keep fighting and arguing with each other... there were scenes that they scold her but mainly it was her fault... they didn't physically abused her, didn't starve her... I don't know...

And then she was able to escape and go home, her daughter was so happy to finally meet her mother, no problem there... her husband was with someone already... her eldest son didn't seem to want her around, well I have been that child... well, I grew up without a mother and all of a sudden, there she is trying to be mother of the year... I needed time to adjust... but I never had ill feelings about my mom, she just get to my nerves... That is one thing that a mother or a father who have worked abroad and goes home should understand about their children... You can not just go home and pretend that you were not away... we children of OFW had learned to live our lives on our own, we had adjusted you not being there... not that we don't appreciate the sacrifice and that we don't understand why you had to sacrifice, but we did sacrifice too... it is just that you were not in our lives for a very long time... it will take time for us to get used to of you being around again...

I have seen "No Other Woman" before... and it is still one of the best local films in recent years... and perhaps the most beautiful cast... Derek Ramsy is sizzling... and I like the contrast of Anne Curtis being so slim and Cristine Reyes having a more full body figure... and the dialogues... very well written...

Now, my brother is a fan of John Lloyd Cruz... and I can see why... watching him in "Unofficially Yours", I thought yah... real men, Filipino macho men, is John Lloyd Cruz... no abs, but charming... he is indeed the boy next door Filipino guy... The film was funny... it made me laugh so much, I don't doubt I was heard even at the next street...  









No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...